About the Artist
About the Artist
Liberty Through Creativity
My earliest memories are of me making art, I developed my artistic skills just as I learnt how to read and write but I realized it was a gift when I noticed that my peers could not draw like I could. At six, I would make small drawings and render them with colored pencils and I would give them to my dad. He had a spot on the wall of his studio where he pinned up all my work. My Dad is an architect and in my sheltered upbringing, his tools of creativity and his artistic influence surrounded me. As a teenager, art became my means of expression, I wrote poetry and I made art and upon my high school graduation, I received a proficiency Certificate in Fine Art.
Dissuaded by my parents for the lack of faith that a career as an Artist could earn me a comfortable living, I ended up with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Estate Management also called Real Estate. My Department was in the Faculty of Environmental Design and Management that also housed the Fine Art department. This posed as a great advantage to me as I spent my free time in the Fine Art studios
After my graduation, I decided to do a Masters in Fine Art because this is where my passion is and I knew that if I ever had to go back to school it would be on my own terms. I got on the Internet and searched for Art schools abroad and that was when I discovered the Academy of Art. I made contact with the school, but at that time, I could not afford the fees so I put it on hold while I faced my career.
My only work experience in Real Estate was six months of Industrial Training while in running my Bachelors program. As a graduate, I worked in Broadcasting, Banking and Telecommunications, I moved from industry to industry in search for what I always had; a fulfilling career. I never stopped drawing and painting. In 2001 I got introduced to a Gallery owner who purchased five of my works. I was pleasantly surprised. In that same year, I made my first oil painting. I would paint and sell one- on- one to those who were privy to seeing my work as it was like a hobby to me. The Gallery owner introduced me to Art associations in Nigeria, which I eventually became a member of. I slowly integrated myself into the Art world in Nigeria and had my first Art Exhibition in 2008, and since then I have been exhibiting and selling my works while running a regular 8-5 job.
In 2011, I was commissioned to supply art work for guesthouse . This was the break I had been looking for. It gave me the chance to consider a full time career as an artist. I then picked up my dream of an MFA Fine Art painting at the Academy Of Art University.
I am currently an MFA Fine Art Painting Graduate Student.
SOLO ART EXHIBITIONS
- "When Nature Speaks" , November 1- 30th, Joyce Gordon Gallery , 406 14th Street Oakland California.
OTHER ART EXHIBITIONS
- 2nd Annual Holiday Art Salon Exhibit, Joyce Gordon Gallery, 406 14th Street, Oakland California, Dec 2013
- “Tiny” at Studio Gallery (works no larger than 7x7 Inches), 1815 Polk Street, San Francisco CA, 94108, November 3 – December 23rd
- Semi Finalist Exhibition, "Bombay Sapphire Artisan Series 2013" , Joyce Gordon Gallery, 406 14th Street, Oakland California, Oct 4-26th 2013
- "Bay Area Arts Group Exhibition" April 26th -28th 2013, 3192 Adeline Street, Berkely, California.
- "Bid For a Cure" Art Auction to Support LLS, Wednesday March 13th, 2013 at 111 Minna Gallery, 2nd Street , San Francisco California.
- "Home Grown Collective SoMa Arts & Crafts Show" Zozi's Loft, 235 9th Street , San Francisco CA.
- "Altered States" Academy Of Art University , Library Art Show, 180 New Mont Gomery, San Francisco CA, November 30th, 2012
- "ABreath of Fresh Air", Fall Show, 601 Brannan, San Francisco CA. October 20th 2012
- Spring Show, Academy Of Art University Gallery, The Cannery, 2841 Leavenworth@Beach, San Francisco CA, May 23rd - August 10th 2012bition at ,
- "A Rainbow of Literacy" Celebrating literary greats , The Women's Club of Hollywood,1749 La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA, June 1st 2012
- Delcious- Work Inspired by Food and Drink, Studio Art Gallery, San Francisco CA, Feb 29th – April 1st 2012
- PAFF (Pan African Arts & Film Festival) Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza, Culver City, Los Angeles, CA, Feb 9-20 2012
- Art exhibition at Zozi’s Loft , 235 9th Street SOMA, San Francisco, 17th November 2011
- An Exhibition to Send forth Dr. Renee Sanders (Outgoing Us Ambassador to Nigeria), Nike Art Gallery Lekki, 8th Aug 2010.
- ETA Fyne Art’diction Art Exhibition, Southern Sun Hotel, ikoyi, December 2009
- Vlisco Fashion Show, 1st November 2009,– Ont of the Top 15 Finalist for Fashion Art Competition organized by AAF (African Artists Fundation) and exhibited at the Civic Center
- October rain October 2009 National Museum Onikan, organized by Society for Nigerian Artists (SNA Lagos Chapter)
- Vason Open House Exhibition, Mydrim Gallery Ikoyi, September 2009
- “Rencontre Avec les Artists, Aquarelles et Peinture a Huile, Besancon vu par Nina et Adejumo 20-24th Juillet , CLA (Centre de linguistique Appliquee), Universite De Franche-Comte
- Naijazz 2008, NAIJART Art Exhibition, Studio 868, Bishop Aboyade Cole Street V/I, Dec 2008
- “Lagos Hot on Artists” Art Exhibition and documentary, 23rd May 2009, Alliance Francaise, Ikoyi, Lagos
- Exhibited at Eden Fashion Show, Didi Museum. 12th Dec 2008
- Serendipity by ITA (Association of Informally Trained Artists) 6-11th Dec 2008 Didi Museum, Victoria Island, Lagos
- Experience Nigeria 2008 Art Show organized by AARC (African Art Resource Center), Theme: Nigerians at Work 22nd- 28th Nov 2008
- Beyond Imagination: 8th -14th November National Theatre Iganmu , organized by Multimedia Association of Artists (MFA)
- October Rain : 18-24th October 2008 National Museum Onikan, organized by Society for Nigerian Artists (SNA Lagos Chapter)
- BOLD BRUSH PAINTING CONTEST: Best of the Show, July 2013
- BOMBAY SAPPHIRE ARTISAN SERIES: Semi Finalist and 2nd place for Bay Are
- TURNER SPRING PAINTING CONTEST: 2 Honorable mentions Turner Watercolor Spring painting Contest July 2013. http://www.jerrysartarama.com/galleries/2013/turner-spring-painting.html
- BOLD BRUSH PAINTING CONTEST: Favorite 15% April & Oct 2013
- Art Work project for the Army Guest House, Ikoyi, Lagos Nigeria
BOOK ILLUSTRATIONS DONE
- ‘Igbo Women’s War of 1929’ childrens book project by the Museum Of African Diaspora (MOAD), Mission Street San Francisco, CA, Spring 2012
- Zahra the wind seeker by Nnedi Okorafor Mbachu, published by Farafina 2008
- Reunion of the Dead by Seun Olaniyi – 2005 – Cover illustration
- Bay Area Arts Group ( San francisco California)
- MOAD (Museum of African Diaspora)
- SNA (Society For Nigerian Artists)
- ITA(Informally Trained Artists ) Association
- MFA (Multimedia Association of Artists)
- VASON (Visual Arts Association Of Nigeria)
- Taruwa (A gathering of Artists) by Gbagi Child entertainment
- French Cultural Center/ Alliance francaise